Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Preaching for Dummies (One dummy, at least!)

So, I spoke at my church last Sunday. Well, technically, I team-preached. I'm such a newbie that I had to do the preaching equivalent of tandem skydiving.

We're doing the attributes of God. Each week we do two attributes that are unique to God, and one that He shares with us. My friend, J.P., spoke on omniscience and grace, and I got to talk on omnipotence for about 15 minutes in between the two. It was good times all around.

Here's a link if you want to hear my all-powerful message (and J.P.'s). I'm the guy who speaks in the middle.


I was surprised. Once I got behind that little music stand (we're a bunch of cheap bastards) I didn't feel nervous at all. You know, power of the Holy Spirit and all that. You can see a link to the Great Adventure Church's website over on the right, plus audio links to the sermons for anyone who's into boring stuff like I am. I think mine is over there too. But I didn't come here today to talk about me.

Well, actually I did. I mean, it is my blog.

The truth is, I would love to see more people get involved in their local churches. Now, I know that speaking in front of all those people, hopefully friends, can be daunting and possibly humiliating. That's why I'm putting together a tool for amateur preachers. It took me a while to come up with a simple, familiar way to help people put sermons together, but I think I finally have the answer.


What better way to teach people to practice at a new skill by using a fun, grammatically educational tool that kids and adults have been enjoying for years? I was going to call it Mad Libs for Preachers, but that seemed a little too obvious. In the end, I opted for Mad Libs: Sunday Edition. Here's an excerpt:


Using my proven* system you'll be preaching revival starting sermons in no time. I know what you're thinking: "Isn't this a little generic?"

Yes, it is! That's the genius of it. Trust me, it's foolproof. No one really knows what the Bible says anyway. Don't believe me? Go look up Hezekiah 12:27.

*I tested it on my wife. She was so profoundly affected that all she could do was sit there in awestruck silence.

4 comments:

Allen's Brain said...

Oh good! I was struggling with this Sunday's sermon prep. This should definitely make it easier! Thanks for serving the clerical community!

CB said...

Cute blog. I listened to your sermon, good delivery, cut yourself some slack! I found the theology, unfortunately, kitschy. Maybe you focus your sarcasm (unresolved anger) on kitschy pop-culture stuff, because you're still trying to make sense of the world with those categories (the first 2). I'm a chaplain, an evangelical one at that, and I had to let go of that "god" or I would've blown my head off. I'm trying to be encouraging, by the way, if it works for you, great, but I find it kitschy and impossible to operate from in the real world. If that connects with that part of you, deep down, that can't really believe his own sermon but hasn't been exposed to a biblical alternative--take heart, you're not alone. If you don't have that deep down disonence, I humbly wish you the best in ministry. peace

M. W. J. said...

whats scary is that I could probably plug at least 4 of my sermons into your madlib without much editing... time for a new approach methinks!

The Ironic Catholic said...

Gregory, come back! Where have you gone? (sniff sniff)