Wednesday, November 01, 2006

X-treme!

I don't know about you, but ever since X-Games and extreme sports have saturated teen culture, Christians have felt the need to convince their young people that being a Christian is RADICAL! Even EXTREME! WHOA!!

I'm tired of it. It makes me extremely aggravated. I'm sick of the entire schtick (I'm a poet and I didn't know it). From the extreme Bibles:


to the radical clothes:


to the awesome books:


Oh, and don't forget this guy:

He's extremely X-treme!

Oh, and just for kicks and giggles, here's an extreme transcript from part of Stephen Baldwin's extreme interview with Rick Sanchez on CNN. Pay extreme attention to the parts in bold, which are my extreme emphasis. Sorry for saying extreme so often...

----

SANCHEZ: His was a life of fast women, hard drugs, alcohol during his early years in Hollywood. Stephen Baldwin, the youngest of the famous Baldwin brothers, finally put the brakes on what some might consider a bit of an out-of-control lifestyle. And now he says he's a new man, and in perhaps his most pivotal role. His book "The Unusual Suspect" is what Baldwin calls his calling to the new hard-core movement of faith.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)


STEPHEN BALDWIN, ACTOR: I wrote "The Unusual Suspect" because I wanted to express the experience I'm having in my faith in a new kind of funky, cool, radical way.


(END VIDEO CLIP)


SANCHEZ: Well, now you're going to see him live. Stephen Baldwin is here this morning joining us.


BALDWIN: Good morning. Good morning. Good morning.


SANCHEZ: Stephen, thanks so much for being with us.


BALDWIN: Thanks for having me.


SANCHEZ: I'm in upstate New York, I'm driving around somewhere, and suddenly we're in our Conversion van, my four kids, my wife, our dog, and my wife says, "That's Stephen Baldwin." And by golly, it was. And Stephen Baldwin comes over and taps on the window after she says, "Hi."
And you were kind enough to be real nice to my kids. And then you said, "I have a conversion van just like that one." True?

BALDWIN: That's so funny. I cannot believe that. Well, you know, I used to call that a coincidence. Now I call it a Jesusidence (ph).


----

Great googly-moogly. Would someone please make him stop talking?

5 comments:

robkroese said...

Stephen Baldwin used to be an ass-Saul. Now he's just a-Paul-ing.

The ironic thing about this is that Christianity really IS radical and extreme, but by packaging it this way, it looks like just another stupid fad.

Joel B. said...

After Diesel's first sentence, there need be no other comments on this post. Perfection has been attained.

Miss Kitty said...

I agree with Diesel. And Joel's assessment of what Diesel said.

And I just love "great googly-moogly." I'm going to find a reason today to say it.

Allen's Brain said...

But for the Christian, what other vehicle would you drive than a conversion van? It comes standard with a mourner's bench and holder for tissue box.

Glacial Spain said...

And I thought "Extreme Programming" was a silly term.